List:       zope-db
Subject:    Re: [Zope-DB] [Zope] Stored Procedures Versus ZSQL Methods
From:       "Charlie Clark" <charlie () egenix ! com>
Date:       2009-02-19 19:41:52

Am 19.02.2009, 01:15 Uhr, schrieb Jaroslav Lukesh <lukesh@seznam.cz>:

> Hi,
> we have moved from complicated SQL query into stored procedure with few
> temporary tables with about 100x gain. Without changing any zope code,
> except calling SQL query. SQL query cost about 40sec (SQL server time),
> now with stored procedure about 0,5sec. We was indexed tablews, but
> query sometimes reach some limits of SQL server. Now procedure does not
> reach limits and works like a charm.

Hi Jaroslav,

thanks for the info. Again, keeping this on list lets us others join in. There may \
indeed be cases (and views do spring to mind) where stored procedures may run a lot \
faster than a client query. This is a matter of implementation and in theory \
shouldn't happen as much with bound parameters. After all the database just parses \
the SQL once and can rerun the query again and again and take full advantage of its \
caching system. It may be that SQL server keeps the temporary tables around for \
longer for stored procedures since it knows to expect they will be called. Or they \
may be another entirely different reason. In any case such long-lived queries such as \
that are very good candidates for using stored procedures.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
eGenix.com