List:       zlib-devel
Subject:    [Zlib-devel] Changing zconf.h (was:  zlib-1.2.3-cos1)
From:       cosmin () cs ! toronto ! edu (Cosmin Truta)
Date:       2006-05-16 0:32:51

On Mon, 15 May 2006, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Cosmin Truta wrote:
> >
> > Both of these changes are here because much of the standard C library
> > is "deprecated" in Visual C++ 8.
> > Andrei Polushin made a point that the modification in zconf.h has side
> > effects, and it's better to resort to using macros in VC makefiles and
> > project files.
>
> Yes - if there were a private, uninstalled zprivate.h file that was
> not distributed, source-macros are a healthy solution, but putting
> such macros in the public headers is wrong for reasons identified.

Well, then there's zutil.h, and, among other things, it's used to work
around standard C holes. So these macros can be moved from zconf.h to
zutil.h, and that one is private.

> No, I'd still disagree.  This as evil as #define _USE_LARGEFILES and
> the related macros inside of zconf.h.  It will break apps [...]

Okay, move the macros from zconf.h to zutil.h, then.

> But -D'efining them in make/project files is *far* healthier than
> impacting the compilation of consumer's modules.

Not before exhausting all the other possibilities ;)

Best regards,
Cosmin