List:       zlib-devel
Subject:    [Zlib-devel] zlib1.dll
From:       cosmin () cs ! toronto ! edu (Cosmin Truta)
Date:       2003-10-04 0:37:52

Hi,

Gilles has curteously agreed to take care of the zlib1.dll release.
He is using Visual C++ 7.1, which, apparently, is the best compiler
for Win32 that is currently available.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Gilles Vollant wrote:

> Can you describe exactly the method I need use (file to copy on the root,
> exact nmake option), so we will have no ambiguity?

I suggest the following things:

- Only one version of the DLL should be released (be it with or without
  the ASM code). It still remains to be concluded if it's worth using
  the ASM code. I will write a separate message about this.

- Whatever compilation flags and options are used, it's good to discuss
  them on the zlib-devel list, so that other people can express their
  opinion

[ my opinon is to use LDFLAGS="-opt:nowin98 -release"; I have no opinion
  with respect to LOC or CFLAGS in VC7.1, because I don't know what
  compilation options are the best (ASM or no ASM? -G6 or blended model?
  -O2 or -O2 -Ob2? etc.) ]

- One way or another, the DLL distribution should contain:
  1. the zlib.h and zconf.h header files
  2. the zlib.def file, and the library files zdll.lib and zdll.exp
  3. the test programs example_d.exe, minigzip_d.exe, testzlib_d.exe,
     untgz_d.exe
     - it remains to be decided by Gilles if minizip_d.exe should be
       there
     - since these test programs are to be used by an (unrecommended,
       but unavoidable) user rebuild of the DLL, there is no point to
       put the statically-linked test executables example.exe etc in.
  4. documentation
     - a README file that contains, among other things, the zlib
       copyright note.
     - usage instructions (using zlib1.dll with various compilers and
       tools)
     - the DLL FAQ.

You can use my old DLL distribution

  http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~cosmin/pngtech/zlib/zlib-1207-dll.zip

as a skeleton.

After you update the headers+libs+compiled binaries, I think it's enough
to update the zlib version number and the build info in the README.txt
file, without needing to write any other docs. But if you have other
ideas, feel free to go for them.

Cheers,
Cosmin