List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] SUMMARY: mounting datasets from a read-only pool
From:       Lori Alt <lori.alt () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-11-23 15:40:24

On 11/22/11 17:54, Jim Klimov wrote:
> 2011-11-23 2:26, Lori Alt wrote:
>> Did you try a temporary mount point?
>> zfs mount -o mountpoint=/whatever <dataset>
>>
>> - lori
>

> I do not want to lie so I'll delay with a definite answer.
> I think I've tried that, but I'm not certain now. I'll try
> to recreate the situation later and respond responsibly ;)
>
> If this works indeed - that's a good idea ;)
> Should it work relative to alternate root as well (just
> like a default/predefined mountpoint value would)?

It does not take an alternate root into account.  Whatever you specify
as the value of the temporary mountpoint property is exactly where it's
mounted.

> BTW, is there a way to do overlay mounts like "mount -O"
> with zfs automount attributes?

No, there is no property for that.  You would need to specify the -O to
the "mount" or "zfs mount" command to get an overlay mount.  You don't
need to use legacy  mounts for this.  The -O option works with regular
zfs mounts.