List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] (Incremental) ZFS SEND at sub-snapshot level
From:       Paul Kraus <paul () kraus-haus ! org>
Date:       2011-10-31 14:38:40

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov@cos.ru> wrote:

> =A0I am catching up with some 500 posts that I skipped this
> summer, and came up with a new question. In short, is it
> possible to add "restartability" to ZFS SEND, for example
> by adding artificial snapshots (of configurable increment
> size) into already existing datasets [too large to be
> zfs-sent successfully as one chunk of stream data]?

     We addressed this by decreasing our snapshot interval from 1 day
to 1 hour. We rarely have a snapshot bigger than a few GB now. I keep
meaning to put together a snapshot script that takes a new snapshot
when the amount of changed data increases to a certain point (for
example, take a snapshot whenever the snapshot would contain 250 MB of
data). Not enough round toits with all the other broken stuff to fix
:-(

-- =

----}
Paul Kraus
-> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
-> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
http://www.sloctheater.org/ )
-> Technical Advisor, RPI Players