List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs-nfs-sun 7000 series
From:       Edward Ned Harvey <opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris () nedharvey ! com>
Date:       2011-03-13 5:56:23

> From: zfs-discuss-bounces@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> bounces@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Mike MacNeil
>
> I have a Sun 7000 series NAS device, I am trying to back it up via NFS
mount
> on a Solaris 10 server running Networker 7.6.1.  It works but it is
extremely
> slow, I have tested other mounts and they work much faster.  The only
> difference (that I can see) between the two mounts are the underlying file
> system zfs vs ufs.  Any thoughts to speed up the backup of the Sun 7000
nfs
> mount?

If possible, backup via zfs send | zfs receive instead.  It's about a
million times faster than anything else in the world.

If you have to backup over nfs, be sure to explicitly exclude the .zfs
directory.

Aside from that, I'm not aware of any reason nfs (read-only operations)
would be slow on zfs instead of ufs.  I have plenty of zfs-backed nfs
services that run and perform well.  Perhaps there's a strange
incompatibility between the networker nfs client, and the nfs server?

You might do some packet sniffing just to see what operations are taking a
long time.