List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] How Do I know if a ZFS snapshot is complete?
From:       Peter Schuller <peter.schuller () infidyne ! com>
Date:       2010-04-28 18:34:50

> I took a snapshot of one of my oracle filesystems this week and when someone tried \
> to add data to it it filled up.
> I tried to remove some data but the snapshot seemed to keep reclaiming it as i \
> deleted it. I had taken the snapshot says earlier. Does this make sense?

Snapshots are completed when your "zfs snapshot" terminates. The
reason deletes do not free up space is that snapshots are just that -
snapshots of the file system at the time, which means that it has to
retain all data referenced by the file system at the point of the
snapshot.

In order to reclaim space used by snapshots, they have to be removed.

--
/ Peter Schuller