List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs zend is very slow
From:       Brandon High <bhigh () freaks ! com>
Date:       2009-12-29 22:32:19

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Brandon High <bhigh@freaks.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
> <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>>  In his case 'zfs send' to /dev/null was still quite fast and the network
>> was also quite fast (when tested with benchmark software).  The implication
>> is that ssh network transfer performace may have dropped with the update.
>
> zfs send appears to be fast still, but receive is slow.
>
> I tried a pipe from the send to the receive, as well as using mbuffer
> with a 100mb buffer, both wrote at ~ 12 MB/s.

I did a little bit of testing today. I'm sending from a snv_129
system, using a 2.31GB filesystem to test.

The sender has 8GB of DDR2-800 memory and a Athlon X2 4850e cpu. It's
using 8x WD Green 5400rpm 1TB drives on a PCI-X controller, in a
raidz2.
The receiver has 2GB of DDR2-533 memory and a Atom 330 cpu. It's using
2 Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB drives in a non-redundant zpool.

I destroyed and recreated the zpool on the receiver between tests.

Doing a send to /dev/null completes in under a second, since the
entire dataset can be cached.

Sending across the network to a snv_118 system via netcat, then to
/dev/null took 45.496s and 40.384s.
Sending across the network to a snv_118 system via netcat, then to
/tank/test took 45.496s and 40.384s.

Sending across the network via netcat and recv'ing on a snv_118 system
took 101s and 97s.

I rebooted the receiver to a snv_128a BE and did the same tests.

Sending across the network to a snv_128a system via netcat, then to
/dev/null took 43.067s.

Sending across the network via netcat and recv'ing on a snv_128a
system took 98s with dedup=off.
Sending across the network via netcat and recv'ing on a snv_128a
system took 121s with dedup=on.
Sending across the network via netcat and recv'ing on a snv_128a
system took 134s with dedup=verify

It looks like the receive times didn't change much for a small
dataset. The change from fletcher4 to sha256 when enabling dedup is
probably responsible for the slowdown.

I suspect that the dataset is too small to run into the performance
problems I was seeing. I'll try later with a larger filesystem and see
what the numbers look like.

-B

--
Brandon High : bhigh@freaks.com