List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS iSCSI Clustered for VMware Host use
From:       Erik Trimble <Erik.Trimble () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-08-31 23:04:49

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 18:26 -0400, David Magda wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2009, at 17:29, Tim Cook wrote:
>
> > I've got MASSIVE deployments of VMware on NFS over 10g that achieve
> > stellar
> > performance (admittedly, it isn't on zfs).
>
> Without a separate ZIL device NFS would probably be slower with NFS--
> hence why Sun's own appliances use SSDs.

Hmm.

On a related note:  I'm looking to be using Sun's xVM on our Nehalem
(x4170) machines, and was assuming I'd be best off using iSCSI targets
exported from my ZFS-based disk machine.

Under xVM (xen-based, or possibly VirtualBox, too), would I be better
off having an iSCSI raw partition mounted on the xVM server, or using
NFS?  (assuming I would have SSD accelerators on the ZFS disk machine)

I'm looking at performance issues, not things like being able to grow
the image under xVM (I'm hosting QA machines in xVM).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support