List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] Connect couple of SATA JBODs to one storage server
From:       Roman Naumenko <roman () frontline ! ca>
Date:       2009-08-28 6:27:38

> This non-raid sas controller is $199 and is based on
> the LSI SAS 1068.
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking
> _Communication/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=0
> 4&sku=310-8285&~lt=popup&~ck=TopSellers

Why Dell? Isn't it cheaper to go with LSI itself?

> What kind of chassis do these drives currently reside
> in? Does the backplane have a sata connector for each
> drive, or does it have a sas backplane [i.e. one SFF
> 8087 for every four drive slots]?

I have standalones sata on backplane, it means I need sff8087 -
http://www.3ware.com/images-sas/CBL-SFF8087OCF-10M.jpg

Then I need external adapter
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/AD8788-4.asp

>From adapter I use SFF-8088 cable:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/8888-1M.asp

The same cable connects JBOD to another JBOD.

There is even a set, just exactly for 12 disk chassis I have:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enclosures/acc-msclb3.asp

So, the question remains about HBA.
Is this one can be used? Probably not because of internal SAS?

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_controllers/adp5805.asp

--
Roman