List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] Is my 3-way mirror completely lost?
From:       Richard Elling <Richard.Elling () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-07-29 17:56:59

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Emiel van de Laar wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what to do next. Is my final pool completely lost?
>>

> It sounds like your "good" disk has some serious problems and that
> formatting the two disks with bad sectors was the wrong thing to do.
> You might have been able to recover using the two failing disks by
> removing the "good" disk which was causing the hang.
>
> Since diagnostics on the "good" disk succeeded, there may still be
> some hope by using a low-level tool like 'dd' to transfer the
> underlying data to more reliable storage.  If there is a successful
> transfer, then you have something to work with.

Good idea.  This eliminates ZFS from the equation and should verify
that the data is readable.

Also check for errors or faults discovered by FMA using fmdump.
If these are consumer grade disks, they may not return failure when
an unrecoverable read is attempted, but the request should timeout
eventually.  You may be seeing serial timeouts which should show
up in the FMA records.
 -- richard