List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] 24-port SATA controller options?
From:       "Jacob Ritorto" <jacob.ritorto () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-30 15:10:03

I bought similar kit from them, but when I received the machine,
uninstalled, I looked at the install manual for the Areca card and
found that it's a manual driver add that is documented to
_occasionally hang_ and you have to _kill it off manually_ if it does.
 I'm really not having that in a production server, so as soon as I
saw this, I asked them (SiMech) for an alternative, production worthy
solution, but they've not yet responded at all (after three
emailings).  The pre-sale communication, however, was superb.  Perhaps
this sort of driver munging behaviour is perfectly acceptable in the
ms/linux world and they therefore think I'm being too fussy?  Hmm.

Anyway, to get this Areca card as far away from me as possible, I plan
to either go with a small zfs CompactFlash array on the mobo ide
channels (or) just use one channel of each of my two
supermicro/marvell boards.

Any opinions out there on that plan, btw?  This is slated to be a
first tier production file/iscsi server (!)..

Sorry if this is drifting too far off topic, but I really would have
appreciated this sort of info when searching for a zfs hw solution
smaller than thumper.

 That said, why, oh why, does Sun not offer a Niagara board on a 16
disk chassis for $10000 for our little corner of the market?  Dealing
with the concept of using PCs in production has been absolutely
horrifying thus far.

thx
jake