List:       zfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [zfs-discuss] Question - does a snapshot of root include child
From:       Ross <myxiplx () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2007-12-22 3:57:21

True, we're already planning to take advantage of ZFS quotas at work.  That alone \
will mean 100+ filesystems as we'll have one for each user.  While there are some \
disadvantages to the quota management I'm used to, overall management of ZFS quotas \
looks very simple, and the ability to roll back things like individual user profiles \
is going to be very nice.

And we're planning on the same approach on the network, with each separate element \
given it's own filesystem.  While it gives us tons of flexibility and a lot of peace \
of mind when it comes to snapshots, it means we're going to have in the order of 150 \
filesystems to backup.

However, since everything will be stored within one pool, it's looking very much like \
"zfs snapshot -r" and "zfs send -r" will let us backup our entire network in one go.  \
I'm buring build 78 to CD as we speak to see just how this works.