List:       zfs-crypto-discuss
Subject:    [zfs-crypto-discuss] OpenSolaris Project: ZFS on disk encryption
From:       Darren.Moffat () Sun ! COM (Darren J Moffat)
Date:       2006-02-22 9:05:12

This project will provide on disk encryption/decryption support for ZFS
datasets. The project will cover the addition of encryption and
decryption to the ZFS IO pipeline and the key management for ZFS datasets.

It will deliver in multiple phases to support different key management
strategies including one which provides support for secure deletion
based on encrypted datasets.

Our project web page is:

	http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/zfs-crypto/

Our mailing list for all design/discussion/code etc is

	zfs-crypto-discuss@opensolaris.org

The project page current contains source diffs for a skeleton addition
to the zfs(1) command the the ZFS I/O pipeline for performing crypto.
Please note that at this time it doesn't actually do any crypto, this is
because we don't have the pre-requisite mode of AES implemented in
the crypto framework yet (see the draft design).

There is also a (very) draft pdf document which is the start of
a design document.  The document needs completing and more content.
I'd be happy to share the source OpenDocument with anyone who would
like to help edit it directly.

--
Darren J Moffat