List:       zeromq-dev
Subject:    Re: [zeromq-dev] need to lower memory usage
From:       Dave Peacock <dave.peacock () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-19 23:07:35

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 11:23:24AM -0700, Dave Peacock wrote:
> > Have just run into this same issue. I haven't tried uclibc yet, tho thanks
> > for that suggestion, will investigate later. For those of you running
> > embedded linux or similar, under posix it looks like there are a few
> > options for controlling this.
> >
> > * Before the thread is created, you could call pthread_attr_setstacksize (
> > http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_attr_setstacksize.3.html).
> > This requires modifying zeromq source.
>
> What exactly is the problem with stacksize? Are you running out of
> address space or don't you have memory overcommit enabled?
>
> Because while the thread might get a few MB of stack only those pages
> actually being used should get allocated by the kernel. So a new
> thread might show 16MB virtual memory used for the stack the resident
> memory will be just the few kiB being actually used (unless you do use
> more and then a small stack would segfault).

Indeed not clear there is a problem -- in my case (slightly more
physical mem than OP at 128MB, no swap) after processes ran for a
while I was sometimes seeing memory-related problems, some kernel
drivers complaining about no available memory etc. Overcommit is
enabled, but running 350% overcommitted made me suspicious of these
"big" processes. I still have suspicions but i can not confirm any
wrongdoing. Still trying to get my head around the myriad ways of
tracking memory usage in linux.