List:       zeromq-dev
Subject:    Re: [zeromq-dev] Pub/Sub over PGM with many topics
From:       Michel Pelletier <pelletier.michel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-29 18:37:18

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Steven McCoy <steven.mccoy@miru.hk> wrote:
> From a performance and convenience viewpoint it is unfortunate that a
> closure cannot be provided so one does not have to perform an additional =
map
> search in addition to the internal ZeroMQ search. =A0The pattern would fo=
llow
> epoll then.
>
> The socket paradigm is a bit inconvenient to fit all these requirements
> into. =A0This would require ZMQ_SUBSCRIBE take a struct value and not jus=
t a
> string.

I like this idea, it would be nice to know, as you point out, which
subscription a message matched without having to do your own search.
Maybe an interesting b/w compatible change would be to add another
recv()-like method to SUB that returned a struct of the message and
also the subscription it matched.  This would keep ZMQ_SUBSCRIBE
simple and not break any existing code.

-Michel