List:       zeromq-dev
Subject:    Re: [zeromq-dev] Video streaming (?)
From:       Steven McCoy <steven.mccoy () miru ! hk>
Date:       2011-06-24 20:13:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 24 June 2011 15:51, Gary Strangman <gary.strangman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I have a(nother) use-case where video data (up to full 1080p) data will be
> acquired by one computer, and needs to be (1) distributed in more-or-less
> real time to one or more clients computers (perhaps using pub/sub?), as well
> as (2) being simultaneously archived in a database. I've read various things
> about how to handle streaming video using 0MQ, and they've ranged the gamut
> ... from 0MQ being a "stunningly poor choice":
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1660695

As it presumably is live data you are going to have a frame-by-frame stream
of data, and you have a choice how to encapsulate it on the wire.  First
choices are obviously RTSP over TCP or UDP depending on fan-out
requirements, and HTTP for easy streaming.

Looking for more exotic transports depends upon your requirements and
integration with metadata or other business logic.  For example you could
hook a video source up with GStreamer and a PGM sink/source*, or adding a
little more payload and working with FEC and congestion control end up with
something like PoolVideoSwitch:

http://www.ks.uni-freiburg.de/projekte/pvs/

* PGM GStreamer sink/source
http://openpgm.googlecode.com/files/gstpgm-2.0.4.tar.bz2