List:       zeromq-dev
Subject:    Re: [zeromq-dev] RFC: Locating 0mq services
From:       Martin Lucina <mato () kotelna ! sk>
Date:       2010-01-27 11:29:16

steven.mccoy@miru.hk said:
> Is it practical to use ZeroConf?  I'm trying to think of alternatives
> to "What DNS is Not":
>
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

I'm familiar with that excellent article, but I don't think anything I
propose goes against what Paul Vixie writes.  Using TXT records as I
described would provide a straight 1:1 mapping from "DNS name" to "0MQ
endpoint". No policy or guesswork of any kind would be involved.

I also looked at using SRV records but those don't provide enough
information for us.

As for ZeroConf, I'd rather not. My painful experience with ZeroConf so far
is mostly in the form of struggling with Ubuntu's implementation when it
decides that "the DHCP server on this LAN has gone away", happily sets up a
169.254. IP address and does everything possible to get in the way of my
telling it "please don't do that".

My feeling is that the technology is too new and too complex, and it needs
another few years to mature in a deep dark cellar somewhere. YMMV.

-mato