List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 348] Re: Experiences with BGP4 as a multi-peered ISP?
From:       Kunihiro Ishiguro <kunihiro () zebra ! org>
Date:       1999-03-20 14:47:58

>If this is Linux it means that the zebra code and the Linux kernel can't
>get the route data synched. Under FreeBSD this is done by IPC-like sockets
>but then between the kernel and the software (if my knowledge is correct at
>that point).

Exactly.  Things are very confusing because Linux introduced routing
socket like interface called netlink and it can be enabled/disabled
from kernel configuration.  Also old BSD doesn't have routing socket.

So there are several method to update kernel routing table.  There are
some files in ./zebra directory.

rt_ioctl.c    -- For Linux without netlink and old BSD.
rt_netlink.c  -- For Linux netlink.
rt_socket.c   -- For BSD routing socket.

Configure script will detect which method is match for the running
kernel.

>As far as I understood, Linux would need it's kernel expanded with that
>option. That would be the first to blame, then it's on to the zebra source
>codes to see if the communication works by injecting some routes.

Yes, and from zebra's terminal interface we can add static routes.  It
may easiest way to check zebra works fine or not.  Below is static
route configuration sample.

zebra.conf