List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 339] Re: Experiences with BGP4 as a multi-peered ISP?
From:       Kunihiro Ishiguro <kunihiro () zebra ! org>
Date:       1999-03-17 4:47:47

Hi this is Kunihiro.

>I do some Cisco consulting on the side, and I'm currently trying to help
>out an ISP that is going to go from a single default-route carrier to
>peering two carriers's BGP4 routes.  They will be purchasing new
>equipment for this, and while everybody recommends Cisco (just like
>everybody recommends Microsoft...), I was wondering if anyone had any
>experiences positive or negative in doing this with Zebra on an
>Intel-architecture box, either Linux or Solaris.  I'm a long-time user

Currently Zebra supports Linux but Solaris.

>of both, but I've never played with gated or zebra and I have no idea of
>how well they work, their latency performance, etc.  For this case, both
>connections are T1's.  I'd be willing to summarize the responses for a
>FAQ item as well.

Please note Zebra is still in development stage.  There is no release
in the past.  It is the only GPLed routing software and I'm now
developing it hard.  But for real operation I recommend to use gated
or other commercial vendor's router.  After the release of Zebra I
strongly recommend to use Zebra as a operational router.  I'll tell
you when it gets ready ;-)

There is a documentation about Zebra as doc/zebra.texi which includes
in a Zebra snapshot.  It is also under development.

>I'm not a normal subscriber to the zebra mailing list, so I'd appreciate
>a reply at lans@carstensen.cx if you have anything to say.  Thanks for
>your consideration and information!

If you interested in Zebra developing please join to us.
--
Kunihiro Ishiguro