List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 23331] Re: BGP
From:       "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () WittsEnd ! com>
Date:       2011-06-26 18:45:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 13:39 +0800, Marlon Guzman wrote:
> Hi,

> How does Zebra work? I need a BGP capable router but it's too expensive. Do
> I just need to install Zebra on a GNU/Linux box and make that as the BGP
> router? We will use BGP for ASN (APNIC).

Wow...  An actual serious question on the old Zebra list.

Zebra as a project is pretty much abandoned and Quagga is the currently
active fork of the Zebra project.  I've added the quagga-users list to
the cc list here.

Yes, you can install Quagga on a Linux box and have him work as a BGP
peer and router.  I do this on both IPv4 and IPv6.  Depending on who you
are peering with, they may require MD5 signatures and that requires are
relatively recently kernel (RedHat 5 will NOT cut it but RedHat 6
should) and the corresponding more recent package of quagga (the old
Zebra stuff will not cut it either).  Most of the distros have Quagga
available in their repositories so it's just a simple install.

Your expression "We will use BGP for ASN" doesn't quite read right.  You
use an ASN for BGP, not the other way around and an ASN is merely a
number, like an address, the Autonomous System Number, identifying an
Autonomous System to BGP.  I'm presuming you have a public ASN for your
Autonomous System (collection of routers advertising routes in BGP) and
that you're setting up a peering relationship with one or more ISPs (you
probably don't need this unless you're multihomed and peering with more
than one).

> Thanks!

Regards,
Mike