List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 22453] Re: OSPF routers "disappearing"
From:       paul cunnane <paul.cunnane () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-24 11:20:45

On 23/06/05, Yasuhiro Ohara <yasu@sfc.wide.ad.jp> wrote:

> Could you summarize a bit ? Because I couldn't get
> what was your specific problem.
>
> From mail subject there would be a route disappearance
> but I could not even imagin where is the suspicious part in the code.

There's a lot of information in the mail, alright. The most obvious
problem is on the mulranny1 router: if you look through the output
from that router, to where I've included the output from the "show ip
ospf routes" command:

mulranny1# sh ip os ro
============ OSPF network routing table ============

============ OSPF router routing table =============

============ OSPF external routing table ===========

This is despite the fact that it has a full link state database, and
claims to be fully adjacent with its neighbor. The relevant interface
is wpci0, which has OSPF running and shows 1 adjacent neighbor, but
not even that directly-attached interface shows in the routing table:

wpci0 is up, line protocol is up
 Internet Address 10.30.66.18/28, Area 0.0.0.0
 Router ID 10.30.66.18, Network Type NBMA, Cost: 100
 Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State DR, Priority 1
 Designated Router (ID) 10.30.66.18, Interface Address 10.30.66.18
 Backup Designated Router (ID) 10.30.66.2, Interface Address 10.30.66.17
 Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 40, Wait 40, Retransmit 5
   Hello due in 00:00:05
 Neighbor Count is 1, Adjacent neighbor count is 1

That's the most obvious symptom. It is reflected in the data from
router farn2, which does not show the link to 10.30.66.16/28 despite
having it included in its link state database and having the interface
active, running OSPF and having an adjacent neighbor.

This was not a transient state. I could understand if it took some
time for OSPF to calculate the routes, or whatever, but this state
persisted for several minutes. It required a restart of ospfd on
mulranny1 to recover from it.

--
Paul