List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 22441] Re: need some advice on zebra development: change ripd
From:       Greg Troxel <gdt () ir ! bbn ! com>
Date:       2005-06-02 12:00:52

  I am trying to convert the hop count routing metric of RIP2 to round trip
  time.

  Is there any developer with similar experience?

Probably not.  Is the point to experiment whether that the resulting
network is unstable under load?

  Does it seem that I have to start up from scratch, just like developing a
  new rip daemon?

I'd do this (actually I wouldn't due to the instability issues, but if
I had to do it) by adding an RPC interface to ripd that enabled
changing the metric, and then another program that pinged neighbors,
computed metrics (this is the interesting part; some functions may
lead to stability), and then installed them.  You can probably use
vtysh to input metrics from perl, rather than adding a proper
programmatic interface.

I'm not sure what's changed in ripd from zebra and quagga
(http://www.quagga.net), but you may want to look at both to decide
what you want to do.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>