List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 20474] Zebra on a very very high traffic network
From:       Jonas "Frey (Probe Networks)" <jf () probe-networks ! de>
Date:       2003-09-28 0:08:02

Hi,

we are thinking about a backup "Zebrarouter" for our main juniper
machine.

Mbps throughput is around 300 Mbit/s at peak times, and around 300k pps.
We also want some mad overhead (>1Mpps, >1Gbps) in case of DDoS attacks,
which sadly happens pretty often. (So we also need to deploy some
accesslists which of course will also impact performance here).

We are thinking of a FreeBSD or Linux machine with the following
hardware:
Asus PR-DLS533 ServerWorks GC-LE (2 PCI-X Buses)
1x 3,06 GHz Xeon with 1 Meg Cache (the new one, hope this works with the
GC-LE, couldnt find any info)
Some U320 Scsi HDD, not too important here

The board already has 2 GigE Copper ports, one Intel 84540 as well as a
Broadcom 5703. Additionally we are going to add 2 more Intel Gigabit
Copper PCI-X cards.

This is the best x86 hardware we could find to use with zebra. If anyone
has other suggestions, please post. Money is not really an object as
long as we dont hit the price of a new Juniper :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on this config or either has deployed a
very very heavy pps zebra router and could quote some of his hardware
used?

If anyone has a >=M20 up for sale cheap, he might also contact me ;)

Regards,
Jonas