List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 20072] Re: Concluding the fork
From:       Mark Lowes <hamster () korenwolf ! net>
Date:       2003-07-31 9:13:35

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 20:37, George Bonser wrote:
> Wally Ritchie wrote:
[...]
> Maybe using Linus' method would have prevented the current problems. If
> there were an unstable development tree and a stable production tree,
> patches could be more easily accepted into the development tree. Alas,

My opinion (based on involvement in another OSS project) is that the
linux kernel numbering scheme is well worth following.  Also that all
releases should be preceeded by a number of "pre" or "rc"[1] releases
for testing.

Due to the nature of code development it's not going to be possible to
release perfect code every time, the 'rc' cycle approach gives those who
are able a chance to test the new code and it's features before the
final release.

> there is only one tree and for fear of breaking it, patches were
> accepted with great care. Maybe by being too careful to accept change,
> the ability of the code to evolve was hindered to the point where it
> became useable by a shinking number of the community over time.

Change in the code is essential if we're to have a vibrant project, a
decent testing cycle before releases and ideally a standard set of tests
which can be undertaken by anyone with sufficient kit would help in
removing the simple problems which will affect the bulk of production
platforms.

[...]
> > 2. There now seems to be a clear consensus in the zebra-pj sub-community
> > that the
> > defacto zebra-ng fork should now become a real fork.
> > ANYONE DISAGREE?

I don't think there is the drive from the top on the zebra project to
push the code forward.  I think forking is the way to go.

   Mark

[1] release candidate

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster@korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
"Out the network, through the ISP, down the ISDN, over the leased