List:       zebra
Subject:    [zebra 18060] Re: vtysh clarification
From:       Hasso Tepper <hasso () estpak ! ee>
Date:       2003-02-25 15:40:56

Russell Sutherland wrote:
> 1. Given a Zebra.conf file, created from a previous instance, will
>    the zebra, ospfd, bgpd daemons read from that merged file
>    preferentially over their respective zebra.conf, ospfd.conf and
>    bgpd.conf files?

You have to run "vtysh -b" after starting daemons. I never used it
though and don't know if it works. There is better way - apply patch
(http://zebra.dishone.st/patches/zebra-vtysh-write-config.patch).

> 2. Is vtysh in a stable enough state to use in a production
> environment? Simply put, can one use vtysh for viewing and
> modifying the overall zebra configuration, and be assured that any
> changes will be stored, the next time the daemons start?

I'm using it. Note, that I'm using Paul Jakma tree
(http://zebra.dishone.st) with some more patches though.

> 3. How does one get a layer of user authentication for the vtysh
>    interface? When I am su'ed to root, and enter vtysh, I do
>    not need to enter any passwords. Nor do I need a password for
>    the enable state.

Configure zebra with --enable-pam.

--
Hasso Tepper