List:       zcip
Subject:    [Zcip] new patch
From:       Michael Schmidt <schmidt () nue ! et-inf ! uni-siegen ! de>
Date:       2002-05-08 8:23:01

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 00:02, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002 00:45, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> > On Monday 06 May 2002 18:33, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> > > Michael Schmidt <schmidt@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> > > ] 1.
> > > ] I'd like to seed the RNG (seed_rng) alternatively with a random
> > > number ] rather than the MAC address. I'm thinking of an additional
> > > command line ] parameter like 'rand_seed' etc. here. I understand that
> > > this does not ] automatically improve privacy, since the constant MAC
> > > addresses are ] still visible to potential attackers (location
> > > trackers). However in ] case the PAN is coupled (via proxy etc.) with
> > > another IP network (where ] the MAC addresses would disappear), I'd
> > > feel better if this constant ] link between IP address and device
> > > (user) was gone.
> > > ] draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-04.txt does not mandate using the
> > > MAC ] as seed.
> > >

> > > This sounds good to me.  I'd really like a clean patch with this
> > > change.
> >
> > Here's the patch (applicable to zcip.c from
> > 04/11/02).
>
> I quite like it.
> Two things:
> 1. No changes have been provided for the man page, despite adding an
> option. 2. Unified diffs, please?
>
> Brad

Hi,

Here's the new patch, including 2 unified diffs (for zcip.c and zcip.8 out of
the latest zcip package).

Michael

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
http:    www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt/
e-mail:  schmidt@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
phone:   +49 271 740-2332   fax:   +49 271 740-2536
mobile:  +49 173 3789349