List:       zaurus-java
Subject:    Re: [Zaurus-java] Supported encodings on SL5600
From:       "Nejat Dilek" <nejat () tepetaklak ! com>
Date:       2003-07-15 10:17:52

> > I'm a new member for the list. For the sake of simplicity I added
unicode
> > indexing to my Indexer (currently used by a midlet) I started a
PersonalJava
> > port of the dictionary application but quite distracted when I got the
error
> > 'Unsupported Encoding' for the following piece of code on the zaurus.
> >
> > s=new String(nodeKey,"Unicode");
>
> "Unicode" doesn't make sense as a character encoding;  it's too abstract.
> Have you ever seen a JVM on which "Unicode" is a valid character encoding?

Yes , both for the jdk1.3.1 and personal java on my machine supports it. And
yes it's in fact  abstract and that abstraction gives me the ability to
forget about the actual Unicode encoding of the file I'm processing. I plan
to use / and use it for Japanese characters. utf-8 encoding is not the best
match for the encoding because most of the kanji and kana encoded in three
bytes. It just makes the file bigger.

> A character encoding specifies how characters are represented as a stream
> of bytes (or "octets").  Reasonable character encodings include:
I do know it ,

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/lang/package-summary.html#charenc

>     http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html
>
> and note that there is no encoding called just "Unicode".

put a byte order mark before some unicode characters array representation
and give it to the String constructor with the encoding "Unicode" then
decide if is there really exists or not. Whether it be practical to use or
not is another issue.