List:       zaurus-general
Subject:    Re: [Zaurus-general] Application Tasks lost data
From:       "David L. Johnson" <david.johnson () lehigh ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-29 14:17:54

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 08:54, Yvan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using a Zaurus SL-5500G german version. The application I'm talking
> about is called 'Aufgaben' in german, in english I assume it's called Tasks
> or something like that.

Probably ToDo, but that doesn't matter.

> I have about 50 entries in it and yesterday I realized that about 12 or more
> entries just disappeared. I use the Qutopia desctop to synchronize but I'm
> always only synchronising from the Zaurus to the PC. Unfortunately I
> already did that before realising that I lost these entries.
>
> Why does that happen?

I presume the file got corrupted, or the file save was interrupted in
mid-stream.

> Is this a common problem?

It periodically happens to me with the addressbook.  As a result, I
rarely sync any more, preferring to just use the Zaurus for such
information.

> Is there a way to get the
> data back ?

Unfortunately, no.  What I do is restore the file from a backup.  If you
have a recent backup available, you can do the same.  The Sharp standard
backup files are a simple tar archive.  Look for the filename (I don't
know what it would be on your German version) and, in / do

tar -xvf /mnt/cf/backupfilename path/to/file/filename

be sure to be in the root directory to begin and leave off the initial /
of the full path to the filename.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
 _`\(,_  | common welfare  was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all,  my business. The dealings of my
           trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"