List:       zaurus-general
Subject:    Re: [Zaurus-general] newbie general questions
From:       "Colin Pinkney" <Colin.Pinkney () marconi ! com>
Date:       2003-06-24 10:33:04

The Sharp ROM installer doesn't support the OpenZaurus/Opie format of
packages so stuff that's for them won't show up. You can easily repackage a
OZ/Opie package for the Sharp ROM though, on a Linux box just do:

ar -x thepackage.ipk
tar zcvf thepackage.ipk ./debian-binary ./data.tar.gz ./control.tar.gz

(The ./ in front of the files is important)

The SD/CF compatibility website shows which ROM each test was done on. Look
for the 'ROM' column :-) . Versions that start OZ are OpenZaurus ROMs,
everything else will be Sharp ROMs (or direct derivatives of).

|  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> As for the package format, the Debian format is specifically for
> OpenZaurus, even though it's only different by the outer wrapper. The
Sharp
> installer on the older 2.X ROMs is a bit less robust that the one in the
> Sharp 3.10 ROM. There are numerous reasons why gnupg might not be
> installing properly, possibly because the file locations within the
package
> are not standard according the the Zaurus.

My Zaurus reports a 2.39 ROM.
Actually in my example gnupg installs fine (the tgz package), while
rsync (the Debian package) isn't seen.

> For SD card recommendations, check out http://zaurus.knightfire.com/

Wow. Almost all are detailed as being supported. Is that both on Sharp's
kernel as well as OpenZaurus? Any ideas of where I would find if my
Pretec card is supported if I flash with Crow/OpenZaurus?