List:       yellowdog-newbie
Subject:    New to Linux
From:       chriskomarnicki () shaw ! ca
Date:       2003-02-10 18:26:25

I've been looking at trying out Linux for about a month now. I found out about YDL through a \
local Unix group, so YDL has been the focal point to my entry to Linux. I've got an Apple iBook \
at 500 MHz.

I installed YDL a few days ago, after giving my hard drive 2 partitions. I told YDL that OS X \
was not installed, because I decided to install it after YDL (I was too anxious to try YDL out, \
so I jumped the gun). When I installed OS X, all sorts of problems started. Booting back and \
forth between Mac OSes and Linux was a hassle, partly because OS X wasn't an option in yaboot, \
and partly, I think, because OS X and 9 were on the same partition.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Do OS X and OS 9 need to be on separate partitions when Linux is installed? I'm pretty sure \
I already know the answer ;)

2. Do OS X and OS 9 need to be on separate partitions when Linux ISN'T installed? I've always \
had them on the same partition, and have never run into any problems.

3. Does YDL need to be installed after both Mac versions? I understand how installing OS 9 or X \
might cause yaboot to 'disappear', but this is easy to fix (by zapping the PRAM).

4. If a Mac OS isn't installed at the time Linux gets installed, is it a bad idea to tell YDL \
that it actually is there, so the option to boot into it exists after the Mac OS gets \
installed? Or, is it better to say that the OS doesn't exist, then install the Mac OS, then \
tell YDL that the OS exists now? If this is the case, how do you go back and tell yaboot that \
the OS now exists, and to add it as an option at boot-up?

(This last question might be irrelevant, depending on what the answer to question #3 is.)

5. On a different note, where can I find other GUIs besides Gnome and KDE? I'd like to maybe \
find something faster, since both of these were quite slow during the brief time I had YDL \
running on my iBook.

6. While running both Gnome and KDE, I noticed white noise on my screen. It almost looked like \
I was getting bad reception (as you would on a TV with 'rabbit-ears'). Has anyone experienced \
this? Is there any way to prevent or avoid it? Does it have to do with my monitor settings at \
installation?

7. How do I change the monitor settings in KDE or Gnome, incidentally. I couldn't find a \
control panel or setting to change it...

I'll be getting OS X.2 tonight. After I get it up and running, I'll be trying out YDL again (in \
a few days, probably). In case you're wondering, I already have OS 9.2.2 fully installed and \
set, in it's own 750 MB partition ;)

Thanks in advance for any input.