List:       yaffs
Subject:    Re: [Yaffs] usb gadget for file backed storage
From:       Charles Manning <manningc2 () actrix ! gen ! nz>
Date:       2011-11-23 2:36:31

On Friday 11 November 2011 11:11:10 oner@bicakciconsulting.com wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm wondering, are there any Windows specific technical or timing
> considerations that may be needed in a UDC driver to support a linux usb
> file storage gadget which accesses file backed storage residing on a YAFFS2
> volume?
> My configuration is an embedded linux device with a YAFFS2 file
> system running on an ARM9 processor. I created two tests - one with FAT12
> formatted file and another with FAT32 a formatted file. Both behave the
> same...
> LOCALLY :) - Mounting the FAT file works correctly. I can read and write
> content to it.
> USB TO LINUX PC :) - When connected to a Linux computer, the storage mounts
> properly (plugging and unplugging works) and Linux allows me to read and
> write files to the mounted storage.
> USB TO WINDOWS PC :( - However, when connected to a Windows system (XP or
> Windows 7), Windows only identifies the USB storage device (putting an icon
> for it as storage under Computer); but I can't write to the storage nor
> even determine the size of the storage space (which returns zero). Whether
> by the desktop or via a cmd window, the error I is "cannot find the file
> specified" - just even selecting the drive letter.
> Oner

Windows, particular more recent versions, seems to be really fussy about how a
FAT partition is formated and named.

I recently tried to do something similar to format a plain old USB hard drive
in FAT to use with both Windows and Linux. I could get it to work fine under
Linux but not under Windows.

-- Charles