List:       yaffs
Subject:    Re: [Yaffs] Yaffs Packed Tags and bad block markings
From:       Charles Manning <manningc2 () actrix ! gen ! nz>
Date:       2005-03-29 4:26:42

To give another perspective on this...
The main reason for the change to ExtendedTags in YAFFS2 was to make an
abstraction between YAFFS data structures and their actual storage in the
NAND spare area.

This move was driven by:
1) YAFFS1 supports primarily SmartMedia. The yaffs_guts knows about spare
areas etc and expects a certain spare area layout (though of course this can
be corrected with some hacking and byte shuffling etc to accomodate hardware
ECC and different byte ordering).
2) YAFFS1 expects the SmartMedia bad block marking strategy. YAFFS2's
extended tags pushes the bad block management out of YAFFS and into the mtd.
This was done to support the various bad block handling strategies that
various chips use. For example, some chinks use the SmartMedia strategy and
others need bad block tables for initial bad blocks. These strategies are
chip specific and do not really belong in YAFFS.

-- Charles