List:       yaffs
Subject:    [Yaffs-archive] Re: yaffs is mounting even though yaffs image is not written
From:       "Nick Bane" <nick () cecomputing ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-11-13 9:45:49

> Subject: yaffs is mounting even though yaffs image is not written
>

> > Hi,
> > i am using yaffs on mtd layer on SMDK board
> > i have noticed some behavious & request you to clarify that
> > i have seen that if i try to mount an mtd partition using yaffs it is
> > mounting even though i have not formated
> > (meaning i have not written the yaffs image to mtd partition). yaffs is
> > mounting on a new flash without me writing explicitly anything to mtd
> > partition. Is this behavior ok

A blank mtd partition is formatted as far as yaffs is concerned.
Also (I think), if you mount a partition using auto, all available
filesystems are tried in order. If one hasn't claimed the partition, yaffs
will do so as all it requires is that the partition is nand based. There is
no concept (yet?) of a yaffs fingerprint on a yaffs fs. This is why erasure
and formatting are the same.

Nick