List:       xwt-widgets
Subject:    Re: [widgets] RFC: drop bevel
From:       Corey Jewett <corey () xwt ! org>
Date:       2003-10-31 4:41:43

Semantics and dictionaries aside, I'm making the observation that in
GUIs border and bevel are typically matching the definitions I
provided. My vote is to keep them separate. I see several paths to
follow:

1) border is a widget. If one must be a proxy then border should be a
proxy for bevel wherein the color for top-left is identical to
bottom-right. The downside to being a proxy is that a bevel probably
takes nominally longer to draw.

2) border and bevel are both attributes of _all_ widgets.

3) implementing CSS 1's box properties:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#box-properties, perhaps with the caveat that
all length's are pixel based. (for now?) The inset and outset values
for the border-style property being inner and outer bevels.

I haven't been following your hard work as closely as I should be, but
I lean heavily towards option 3 and fallback on 2. Then again I'm not
the one doing the work. :\

Corey