List:       xwt-dev
Subject:    Re: [xwt-discuss] Sending messages to the xwt applet
From:       Adam Megacz <adam () megacz ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 3:30:23

Tim Hoffman <timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au> writes:
> > Zope doesn't have Semaphores?

> Nope. Python can/does it's just not architecturally part of Zope.

Since your XML-RPC handlers are written in Python, couldn't you just
create a Python semaphore, and then block on it? I also assume that
the code you've written to handle <form> POSTs (ie your backend logic)
is written in Python -- that code could just grab the semaphore and
unblock it. This should be literally four lines of code.

> created with XWT is much more like the News/TNT model (think DPS)

Yes, you'll notice that I cite NeWS as one of the two primary
inspirations for XWT in the FAQ (the other being Mozilla's XUL).

> What if I have flash, with embedded quicktime (god forbid - I
> actually dislike this stuff but people here want it) and xwt all
> trying to work together ?  ...  I tend to think of XWT as something
> I would want to use in conjunction with many other tools client side
> and server side, and they need to work together in many ways.

Well, I still think they should coordinate their efforts through the
server (if Quicktime can talk to JavaScript, JavaScript can talk to
the server using HTTP GET requests).

If you're absolutely bent on client-side communication, then I think
that what you want to do is simply beyond the scope of XWT.  With your
needs, you're probably better off using ActiveX.  What you're trying
to do (integration with client-side apps) isn't going to be
cross-platform portable anyways -- for example there is [still] no
Quicktime player for Linux.

  - a

--
Sick of HTML user interfaces?
www.xwt.org

Some people don't care if the pie is smaller, so long as they still
get all of it.