List:       xwt-dev
Subject:    [xwt-discuss] SOAP support situation
From:       Adam Megacz <adam () megacz ! com>
Date:       2002-04-24 18:12:53

First off, sorry I haven't been very visible the last week or so, I'm
drowning in work right now. I had a lot of work that I had to do on
gcj in order to help stabilize the Win32 version of XWT. GCC 3.1 is
frozen now, so I'm done working on that. I also published an RFC for
XML-RPC (see below).

As far as SOAP support goes, you've probably noticed that XWT's SOAP
support isn't the greatest. It only supports RPC style (not document
style), doesn't do WSDLs, and doesn't do multi-ref data.

I've explored what it would take to implement all this, and figured
out that either:

  1) I'll spend a ridiculous amount of time implementing all this,
     which will soak up all the time I should be using to improve XWT.

                            - or -

  2) I'll compile the Apache libraries directly into XWT, which
     unfortunately are designed for flexibility rather than size. This
     would bloat XWT to approximately twice its current size.

Neither of these is acceptable.

Here is my current solution, which I offer for your
consideration:

I've recently published an RFC to standardize XML-RPC (although the
standardized version is called XMC at Dave Winer's request):

   http://www.xwt.org/xmc/draft-megacz-xmc-01.txt

This adds multi-ref data to XML-RPC, which will enable it to represent
any data that SOAP can represent. This means than a "lossless"
XMC-to-SOAP gateway is possible.

This way, I can set up a public XMC-to-SOAP gateway on xwt.org, and
use the Apache libraries to provide automatic wsdl parsing and all the
zillions of features that SOAP has accrued (and continues to accrue).

I can also keep up with new SOAP developments simply by installing new
versions of the Apache libraries on xwt.org. Third parties can run the
XMC-to-SOAP gateway themselves (I will open source it) if they need
faster responses or plan on using a lot of bandwidth.

How does this sound?

  - a

--
The web is dead; long live the Internet.
http://www.xwt.org/