List:       xvid-devel
Subject:    Re: [XviD-devel] speed-up playing xvid movies
From:       Dark Sylinc <dark_sylinc () yahoo ! com ! ar>
Date:       2008-12-28 17:28:15

> Is there any way to speed-up playing a xvid movie, when i
> play my xvid
> movie from the HDD

That depends.
You're using your custom application I suppose, rather than using a stand-alone media \
player (i.e. you're not using Windows Media Player, MPlayer, VLC, etc) How's the \
frame-rate with those applications?

> the movie played with mini-pauses and less-frames.

You mean it was in played like in slow motion? Or you experienced frame-skipping?

> with my  PC i can play MPEG1 movie with normal speed, now i

There's a huuuuuughe difference in the proccessing power needed to decode MPEG1 vs \
MPEG4 movies.

> My PC hardware is:
> RAM: 256 MB
> CPU: 333 MHZ
> VGA: Trident
> OS: Win2003

Insanely weird combination. Win2003 with a 333Mhz CPU & 256MB RAM??

Also you specified VERY FEW DETAILS.
What CPU you have? 333Mhz isn't enough. Is it a Pentium II? Pentium? Celeron (PII \
era)? AMD K6-II?

You have a *trident* vga card?? What chipset exactly? With such old PC, I can guess \
your GPU is the old PCI Trident 1MB, because that was Trident's most popular video \
card in the 90's. What's the Trident's specs?

RAM? You have 256MB... is it PC66, PC100, PC133? DDR1?

I believe your motherboard has a 66Mhz FSB due to the CPU's 333Mhz.

About the movie, what container are you using? AVI? MP4? Custom?

Oh! One more thing, I had a PII 350Mhz, 128 MB RAM (PC100), GPU SiS 620 8MB AGP.
That System was able to reproduce low-quality (low resolution or \
low-profile-compression) MPEG4 videos. That's all. By low resolution I mean anything \
less than 640x480. In it's time I did everything I could to improve playback \
performance without success. If your PC isn't above the one I'm mentioning, you're \
wasting your time.

You can try movie playback from Linux. Linux has the fastest video players in \
existance (and they even include hacks and lots of config options). If you can't get \
a smooth playback in that OS either, the system isn't just up to it.

As for XviD library, avoid any colour space conversion and use the one that XviD \
natively sends you (that is, if your video card supports that colour space natively \
also)

Cheers
Dark Sylinc

IMPORTANT:
The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive and/or legally \
privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the \
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice of its status \
and hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, \
distribution, disclose or copying of this message including any attachments is \
strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then \