List:       xul-talk
Subject:    [xul-interop] Remote XUL
From:       Andreas Schenk <nospamforAS () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-11-15 21:16:53

Hi,

please excuse me, if my mail is a little off topic. However I didn't find a
mailing list for XUL developers yet. The mozilla-xul mailing list is no
longer active and the link to a new list in the last posting from 11 August
is broken. So please point me to a more appropriate list, if possible.

Here is my problem:

I am using remote XUL, i.e. I start mozilla and/or firefox with (for firefox)

firefox -chrome http://localhost:9000/.../init.xul

init.xul contains a simple window, one <script...> tag for a js file, and some
UI tags. So far it works well. A chrome or XUL window is opened. The window
has a button which -- if pressed -- opens a second window via

var nw = window.open("http://...same link as obove...", "title", "chrome");

Here the problem starts, since the new window is a browser window, not a
chrome or XUL window. That is not what I want. I expect a XUL window to open.
I have the same problem with mozilla.

The content type the server sends back is the expected

application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml

so I don't know, what might be wrong.

There is a second problem. The window has an additional button which, if
pressed, executes the command

window.close();

This does not work with the XUL window. The command simply does nothing. It
does work with the browser window, however.

Furthermore, if I install the init.xul and the js file in the chrome system
and start the chrome application locally, both errors do not occur. Here
everything works as expected.

Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever,

regards,

Andreas Schenk