List:       xul-talk
Subject:    [xul-talk] Edd Dumbill: What next for GNOME's user interface? How about XUL?
From:       Gerald Bauer <gerald () vamphq ! com>
Date:       2004-03-05 9:51:58

Hello,

   to kick off the discussion about Edd Dumbill story
titled "What next for GNOME's user interface?" allow
me to quote the response from Miguel de Icaza (Mono
Chief) online @
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/archive/2004/Mar-03.html

   I read with interest Edd's thoughts on XAML and a
new UI for GNOME. I have been doing some small XAML
tests recently, and it is a very easy markup to
generate. As I mentioned before  the issue with XAML
is that it will be very attractive to developers to
move from HTML to XAML, as it provides more control,
more widgetry and is an extensible system.

   The future of Linux on the desktop is in fact on
the line: if enterprise developers and IT developers
fall in love with Xaml for building their in-house
applications it will marginalize again Linux on the
desktop.

   There are two views of how to solve this problem.
The Nat Friedman view of building a matching system in
the meantime: leveraging our existing technologies, or
the Miggy-view, which is lets implement the
Avalon/XAML API. I think we should pursue both paths.

   What's your take on a new XML UI Language for
Gnome? Any thoughts? Any comments?

    - Gerald