List:       xul-announce
Subject:    [xul-announce] Let's welcome XPML (eXtensible Programming Markup Language) and Ultrid
From:       Gerald Bauer <gerald () vamphq ! com>
Date:       2004-02-27 10:59:55

Hello,

   Andre Morel and Pierre Morel have created a new XUL
dialect for Swing called XPML (eXtensible Programming
Markup Language) and a XPML player called Ultrid.

   Andre Morel writes in the Ultrid annoucement:

   I am proud to announce a new tool to create Java
UIs using XML.

   See how you can create rich-client applications
using XML and scripting languages (ten scripting
languages supported).

   Easily create localized applications. Add a help
system to it effortlessly. Make it 'skinnable' simply
by adding one tag in your UI design. Innovative
feature: You can code the UI in your mother tongue.

   You can add new words to enrich the vocabulary.

   Many demos are available online.

   The tutorial shows how to build a text editor using
XML and Javascript only. No Java code required. No
compilation.

   Is XPML the answer to XAML for the Java community?

   Now if you wonder what XPML looks like in action
please check out the Farnheit to Celcius temperature
calculator in the appendix below.

   Full story @ http://www.ultrid.com

   - Gerald

PS: If anyone has tried out Ultrid XPML, let us know
what you think and how it compares to SwiXML, Luxor,
XUI, Thinlet, Beryl, xWidglets and so on. Please post
your comments to the xul-talk mailinglist.

XPML example:
-------------

<jframe context="/com-ultrid-demos/"
path="Temperature/" title="Temperature Converter"
default-close-operation="exit-on-close"
resizable="false">
    <!-- Used to capture this application and save it
in a file that we can show on our web site -->
    <capture.manager id="capture-manager"
hot-key="F2"/>
    <jpanel>
        <jpanel layout="vbox">
            <empty-border thickness="12"/>
            <jpanel layout="hbox">
                <glue/>
                <jlabel text="Celcius" />
                <filler length="10"/>
                <jtextfield id="celcius" text="20"
enabled="false" maximum-size="30, 20"
preferred-size="30, 20"/>
                <filler length="10"/>
                <jlabel text="Fahrenheit" />
                <filler length="10"/>
                <jtextfield id="fahrenheit" text="68"
enabled="false" maximum-size="35, 20"
preferred-size="35, 20"/>
                <glue/>
            </jpanel>
            <filler length="10"/>
            <jpanel layout="hbox">
                <glue/>
                <jlabel icon="snow.gif" />
                <filler length="10"/>
                <jslider id="slider" minimum="0"
maximum="100" value="20" paint-ticks="true"
paint-labels="true" major-tick-spacing="20"
minor-tick-spacing="5">
                </jslider>
                <filler length="10"/>
                <jlabel icon="sun.gif" />
                <glue/>
            </jpanel>
        </jpanel>
    </jpanel>
    <!-- When the F2 key is pressed, a jpg file is
saved. -->
    <!-- The file name will be incremented and we can
have as many as 99 jpg because we put a pattern of
'00'. Putting '000' would give us a possibility of 999
jpg -->
    <!-- It is useful when we change the slider and
hit F2 -->
    <capture.item id="capture"
manager="capture-manager"
output-path="modules/com-ultrid-demos/Temperature/images/"
format="jpg" filename="temp" increment="true"
pattern="00"/>
</jframe>