List:       xom-interest
Subject:    Re: [XOM-interest] Optimizing character checking
From:       Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo () metalab ! unc ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-16 17:18:43

At 2:07 PM +0200 5/16/03, Laurent Bihanic wrote:

>As someone who sometimes writes custom XMLReaders to convert weird
>file / database / object formats into XML to feed them into an
>object model (JDOM, XOM), I like being able to force these
>verifications to happen rather than having to re-code them in my
>readers.

You'll still be able to force them by specifying a NodeFactory
explicitly, including the standard nu.xom.NodeFactory class that's
been used since d1. The new NonverifyingFactory is package private.
It's used by default if you don't specify anything else.

For the reasons you cite, I'm tempted to do full verification no
matter what. There are parsers in the world that don't do what
they're supposed to do. Howewver, the time savings from skipping
verification on parse is noticeable.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu