List:       xom-interest
Subject:    Re: [XOM-interest] Modular encoding
From:       Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo () metalab ! unc ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-04 16:52:44

At 9:20 AM -0800 3/27/03, Nils_Kilden-Pedersen@Countrywide.Com wrote:
>In the "What's wrong" slides, page 68 on Encoding, it is mentioned that
>the Serializer "supports all encodings available in the VM". It also
>states that "Modular design makes it fairly easy to add more by
>contribution."
>Does that mean, that I "fairly easy" can add support for an encoding not
>currently supported natively by the VM? And if so, how is that done?
>Specifically, I need support for "ebcdic-us" encoding.

Looking at the source code I just realized something. IS EBCDIC-US
the same character set as US-ASCII, just mapping the characters to
different code points? If so, then try it. Assuming your Java VM
support EBCDIC-US it should just work.

On the other hand, it is not trivial to use an encoding not supported
by the current VM, so I may have originally misunderstood your
question. XOM relies on OutputStreamWriter to convert characters into
bytes in the given encoding. All XOM does is figure out which
characters can be written in the specified character set and which
have to be escaped.
--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@metalab.unc.edu