Actually, it should probably be

export KDEWM=/usr/bin/xmonad

if you want to run xmonad within KDE Workspace.

Cheers,
Hans

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM, scolfield <kscolfield@gmail.com> wrote:
I've recently installed the newest KDE4 version on my Gentoo and I configured Xmonad according to http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_KDE. There is an strange behaviour. Actually, the xmonad doens't run when KDE starts and any error is reported. KDE starts normally but the window tilling feature of Xmonad doesn't.

Our KDE support is a little out of date, but this should work.

My .xinitrc contains a single line with "exec startkde" command. And, my /etc/conf.d/xdm file contains "DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm". Moreover, i created and edited set_window_manager.sh file with "export KDEWM=/usr/bin" in ~/.kde4/env

`export KDEWM=/usr/bin` tells KDE to try to run *the directory /usr/bin* as a window manager, which won't do anything --- it will catch an "Is a directory" error and fail to start any window manager. You need to point it to the actual window manager, not a directory; and it would be within its rights (although I don't think it does) to assume, given that it's a directory, that you meant /usr/bin/kdewm instead of guessing that you meant something else.

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net