List:       xmonad
Subject:    Re: [xmonad] setWMName
From:       Brandon Allbery <allbery.b () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-23 1:12:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Dominik Schrempf <
dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some days now I had freezes and problems (e.g. I had to refresh the
> workspace by switching back and forth to bring the user interface up to
> date) with Gnome GTK applications like gnome-terminal or nautilus when
> using xmonad without a loaded gnome-session (plain xmonad). I noticed,
> that this was due to an old setting in the xmonad configuration file:
>
> myStartupHook = setWMName "LG3D".
>
> I added this settings years ago to get Java applications to work. After
> several hours of trial and error I removed this line and the glitches
> and freezes vanished. I thought, that I should comment this here.

That seems a bit bizarre.

It might, however, provide a reason for me to test something I've wondered
about:  setWMName sets the WM_NAME property. What happens if we also set
_NET_WM_NAME, correctly (since Java doesn't look at it)?

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net