List:       xmonad
Subject:    [xmonad] Problem with smartBorders, multiple screens, and fullscreen windows
From:       Hans Chen <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-11-28 23:08:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I have a problem with fullscreen windows on my multi-monitor setup. After
reducing my xmonad.hs bit by bit, I finally tracked down the problem to
smartBorders from XMonad.Layout.NoBorders.

How to reproduce:
1. Add smartBorders to your layout(s).
1. Make a window fullscreen (e.g. mplayer, virtualbox, flash) on one
screen, say screen 1.
2. Change to an arbitrary hidden workspace on another screen, e.g. on
screen 2.

What I get:
The content of the fullscreen window (on screen 1 in the example above)
isn't updated anymore. In mplayer, for example, the video simply "freezes"
while the sound keeps going. I can fix it by restoring the window and make
it fullscreen again.

Expected results:
Nothing should happen to the fullscreen window.

More information:
I'm using xmonad 0.10 and xmonad-contrib 0.10 on Arch Linux. I can
reproduce this on two machines with different graphic cards, Nvidia and
Intel, so I don't think the problem lies with the graphic driver, which was
my first suspicion. If I remove borders from all screens except the one
with the fullscreen window (by using noBorders), I can switch workspace
without "freezing" the fullscreen window.

I was surprised that I couldn't find anyone else with a similar issue
(except maybe Issue 311<http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=311>)
- if someone else can reproduce this, please let me know and I'll submit a
bug report. Even better, if someone could help me fix or work around the
problem without losing the functionality of smartBorders, I would be
extremely happy.

Thanks,
Hans