List:       xmonad
Subject:    [xmonad] Desktop integration, problem with screen focus
From:       Hans Chen <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-11-14 9:39:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

I use xmonad with KDE integration[1]. After some changes it works
surprisingly well, but there's one minor annoyance: the screen focus only
changes when clicking on windows (or when the mouse cursor enters windows
if focusFollowsMouse is set to True), not when clicking on desktops. The
cause seems to be plasma-desktop, KDE's desktop, since everything works as
expected if I quit plasma-desktop. The question is, is it possible to fix
this somehow?

From what I understand xmonad creates virtual root windows on each screen
to detect if focus should change. My guess is that plasma-desktop covers
these root windows. In that case, a possible solution could be to put
windows matching _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP below
the root windows. But how? I'm still new to Haskell and xmonad, so a
thorough explanation would be much appreciated.

If you want to try to reproduce this, you can use this pretty standard
configuration: http://mogger.ath.cx/xmonad.hs (I have just added
kde4Config), and then run plasma-desktop. It doesn't matter if xmonad or
plasma-desktop starts first.

Thanks,
Hans

---