List:       xmms-devel
Subject:    Re: [XMMS-DEVEL] no sound
From:       John Riddoch <jr () scms ! rgu ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-02-05 9:09:40

>I'll be interested to know what you think of the sound quality.  I'm using an
>Ultra 10, Solaris 8 with xmms 1.2.4 and the Solaris output plugin (v0.6.1).
>75% of the time everything sounds perfect.  The rest of the time the audio is
>accompanied by some background noise that makes it sound a bit like a crackly
>old lp record.  Reselecting the music or moving forward/backward in the track
>fixes the problem (around 75% of the time!).  This might happen whenever xmms
>progresses to the next track, or you make a selection yourself.

From what I've heard, pause/play should fix it as well.

>This seems much better than it was under earlier versions of xmms and the
>output plugin, when the `success' rate seemed less than 50%.

This is an ongoing problem which I have been unable to pinpoint, especially as
I haven't experienced it myself (Ultra-1/170, Solaris 8, xmms 1.2.4, plugin
0.6.4; other plugin versions were fine too, though).  It only seems to be
under Solaris 8, though. FWIW, it also apparently happens under Xaudio, so it
seems to be a Solaris problem, most likely due to do some problems in the new
mixer module.

--
John Riddoch	Email: jr@scms.rgu.ac.uk	Telephone: (01224)262721
http://www.scms.rgu.ac.uk/staff/jr/