List:       xmms-devel
Subject:    Re: [xmms-devel] Songs glitching over samba
From:       Adam M <gnuman1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-15 16:25:40

On 5/14/05, Brandon Kuczenski <brandon@301south.net> wrote:
> I will try building a fresh (non-Debianized) XMMS from source.  I
> will also look into gnump3d.  In the meantime, do you (or the other XMMS
> developers) think it would be simple or reasonable to add some [optional]
> pre-buffering in the case of playback off networked file systems?  The
> buffer would not have to store much data -- only a few hundred kilobytes
> -- to fully insulate it from even frequent network unreliabilities.
>
> An earlier poster mentioned a "network card / sound card interaction..."
> but I think that XMMS *is* the network card/sound card interaction.  I
> believe the player is the right place to fix this problem.  But I'm not
> much of an application programmer so maybe there are other concerns...

I am not a "XMMS developer" so I was just guessing how XMMS would use
the file system without buffering (but I think that is correct). I
mean, when you are reading a file, the file system generally buffers
the data. The problem with all network systems is that you can have
latencies that would never occur short of some circumstances where you
were streaming from a 3.5" floppy! Anyway, buffering is in the http
(network) code and that is where it should stay.

But gnump3d streaming will help you out with this problem. It is easy
to set up :)

- Adam