List:       xmlrpc-user
Subject:    Re: Ideas for a GSOC 2013 Project
From:       Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-22 18:57:21

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Amila Suriarachchi
<amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I see two important issues with that proposal:
>>
>> (1) The link with Axiom is actually much weaker than the proposal
>> suggests. It is correct that the current AXIOMXPath is tightly coupled
>> to Jaxen and that at some point we will need to define an abstract,
>> implementation independent API. However, that API would take as input
>> an Axiom tree and (if the XPath expression evaluates to a node set)
>> return a set of Axiom nodes. Since the proposed XPath implementation
>> takes as input an XMLStreamReader, it would not directly fit into that
>> API. One could of course extend the API to cover such implementations
>> as well, but at this point it is far from clear if that is the right
>> thing to do. In fact, I doubt that it would be good to use a single
>> API to cover both a full implementation of the XPath 1.0 spec (Jaxen)
>> operating on Axiom trees and a partial implementation (see point 2)
>> operating on XMLStreamReaders.
>>
>> Furthermore, looking at the initial architecture, there is actually no
>> dependency on Axiom. Ideally this proposal should be submitted to a
>> project that already has an XPath implementation, since this would
>> avoid to develop yet another XPath expression parser.
>

> I think you are correct.
>
> I think better to submit this proposal to Synapse to develop it as a module
> for synapse since the main use case for this is rely on there. So if you can
> prove this has better performance for CBR compared to Axiom Xpath then we
> can think of putting this as an independent module or putting under an
> another Xpath implementation. This is similar to what has happened with
> Axiom. Originally it has developed as a part of Axis2 and later moved to a
> separate project.

Yes, I think it's better to develop that under Synapse and to decide
later whether it should stay there or whether it's worth including it
into another project.

The proposal should also explain clearly what the Synapse scenarios
are that it attempts to improve. That's still not exactly clear to me.

>> (2) XPathEvaluator operates on an XMLStreamReader. This gives you two
>>
>> a. Restrict the implementation to a small subset of XPath, so that
>> XPathEvaluator can evaluate the XPath expression by looking at each
>> event one at a time. That subset would be really small, and calling
>> the result an XPath implementation would be misleading. Also, it is
>> not certain that the scope of this would be large enough for a GSoC
>> project.
>>
>> b. Propose a design that would allow to implement the full XPath spec
>> (or at least a significant portion of the XPath spec). However, doing
>> this with streaming support is highly non trivial. Even for such a
>> simple XPath expression as /data/book[isbn='1-84356-028-3'] this is
>> not trivial.
>

> IMHO it is ok to try out the non trivial things.

The problem is that there is a huge difference in complexity between
a. and b., and the design is not the same at all. Starting with a. and
then trying to extend it to b. won't work.

> Basically this will be a
> more research project to develop some algorithms/designs for that. But for
> scope wise it is required to go through the XPath spec and come up with fair
> enough sub set.

"fair enough sub set" is too vague. The proposal should explain what
subset can be reasonably expected.